Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Hello from Prey Veng Province!

Yes, I made it to my permanent site and am settling into my new family, my new community, and my new life. After a few days in Phnom Penh and a wonderful swearing-in ceremony, it was tough to say goodbye to the other PCVs, staff, and LCFs, my friends and support system the past few months. Too quickly, we were herded to vans and sent off to our sites. 

There are five of us K10s serving in Prey Veng Province, two CHEs and three ETTTs. Added to the two volunteers already in the province, we will be seven strong, ready to tackle the world! 

As we took dropped each volunteer off at their new house, we all piled out of the van and made small talk with various members of the family. Having the other K10s with us helped ease some of the awkwardness of first meetings and some of the sadness of leaving each other; it was definitely nice to see each person's house and attempt to fix its location on a hastily-made mind map for  a future visit. 

When I arrived at my new house, my host family was there to greet me with shy smiles and hellos. In this family, I have a host mom and dad. (I call them "older sister" and "older brother" since they are not significantly older than me.) I also have two younger sisters, who are wonderful, smart, and quite helpful when I am unsure what to do. They have all made me feel very welcome, and I think I am slowly but surely finding my place. 

As for my work, school doesn't start until November 1st, so I just hang around school for a few hours every day and let people get used to me. However, the school, and the town in general, are dead right now due to Pchum Ben, one of the major holidays in Cambodia where families visit their relatives and go to the wat with food for their ancestors. It lasts for 15 days, and during that time, many people leave to visit family or just take the opportunity to relax. If you know me at all, you will know I like to keep busy, to have a plan and a schedule, so this abundance of free time has been a bit difficult. I know once school starts I will be very busy, so I am trying to enjoy the free time, but it's challenging. 

So, that is a little bit about my life here so far in Prey Veng. I think we are going to some wats for the holiday festivities this weekend, so I am sure I will have more to report after that. 

Until next time, 
Carissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment