Wednesday, October 19, 2016

One Month Already!?

Hello! 

I have been at site in Prey Veng for one month already, which is a little weird to think about. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Peace Corps time is quite strange and I find it hard to believe I have been at site for a month and in Cambodia for three months. 

My two younger sisters and cousin (yellow shirt)
Over the last month, I spent a lot of time doing what Peace Corps calls “integrating” which means doing a lot of walking around, going to bike rides, and talking with whoever is kind enough to interrupt their busy schedule to listen to my questionable Khmer. I have hung out with my extended family while they talk, sew clothes, make food, and sell fried bananas. My two younger sisters are probably tired of me following them when they go to make rice or watch TV; I tend to ask a lot of questions and make random observations to practice Khmer and figure out what is going on around me. The younger children that roam the houses of my extended family let me teach them songs or words in English; I also do a lot of dancing and making funny faces with them, which transcend any language barrier. 

Students practicing during a lesson
I have also spent a lot of time at my school, getting to know my school director and a few teachers and staff. School does not start until November 1st, so I have been teaching an informal class to about 17 students Monday through Friday. It has been good to get rid of all the teaching jitters I had; I am sure I will still be nervous come the start of school, but this will definitely help. I’ve tested out new games and techniques as well as gotten a feel for where my students are at in their English learning. 

View from the tallest building at my school
I think I am slowly but surely finding my place here in my family, in my school, and in my community. It will be a long process; Peace Corps says it takes anywhere from six months to a year, but I think I have a good start. Soon, school will start, and my life will get busier. For now, I take each day at a time, enjoying the good and learning from the difficult.  
Until next time, 
Carissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment