Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Pre-service Jitters

Hello!

I recently received the highly anticipated (and slightly nerve-wracking) staging email, so I thought it was about time to begin my blog. As I am sure most people who read this will know, I will be leaving for my Peace Corps journey serving in the wonderful country of Cambodia in a few short weeks.

To answer the most common questions I am asked:
  •  No, I did not choose Cambodia; I put a few preferences down when I filled out my application, mostly in Latin America. When I first read my invitation letter, my knowledge of Cambodia was basic at best, but I decided to accept the invitation. Over the last few months, I have learned a lot about Cambodia, and I am beyond excited for this new adventure!
  • During my service, I will be part of the English teaching and teacher training program. Peace Corps also encourages secondary projects that meet the needs of our host communities.
  • I don't know if I will have running water or reliable electricity yet. It depends on where my site placement is, which I won't find out until after our first three months in-country. 
  • I will learn Khmer, the language of Cambodia, over the next 27 months. In fact, the first three months of service will be training, training, and more training in culture, language, and teaching methods. 

Soon, I will be on my way to staging, where I will meet up with the rest of the my cohort, and then on to Phnom Penh (the capitol of Cambodia) and the next 27 months of my life. I cannot believe the day is almost here!

Cheers,
Carissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment